Monday, March 27, 2017

Blog Post #7

My book, "Bluefish", is about a boy named Travis who wasn't very skilled in reading and had a huge fear of it. Whenever Travis went into a room full of books or if he was assigned to read a paragraph, he would get very nervous and scared. There was this paragraph where he was entering his reading class and suddenly felt claustrophobic and fear washed over him when he saw the wall of books. It was mentioned that he hadn't had reading classes with a whole class since fifth grade. He ditched school many times to avoid going to reading class. I have had a similar reading experience. In second grade, I struggled with reading. That year I was suddenly switched to English classes. Before second grade, I was in first and kindergarten Spanish classes. I knew how to speak English, but I couldn't really read or write English. That year of second grade was when AR testing started and for us second graders, my teachers said we had to do the AR test for every book we read or it would go against our points and grade. It was a nightmare. I avoided big books at all costs, and I would only pick up picture books. At the time, my teacher had high expectations for me, and wanted me to read chapter books. I used excuses to get out of our reading time and lied about finishing books. My teacher found out later and asked why I was doing that. When I explained, she did understand my situation. After that, our librarian helped me with reading English and taking the AR tests. The fear of reading for me was gone once I realized that I found joy in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment